Ready to move ahead with your next home renovation and on the hunt for the perfect home contracting team? Finding the right fit is an important part of ensuring a smooth project and avoiding delays that can cause prolonged disruption to your daily routine. While it can sometimes feel overwhelming to sort through the many contractors available, knowing the right questions during the initial meeting can help you quickly narrow the field and feel confident in your decision going forward. At Peak Improvements, we understand just how important it is to find the right team for your project, and have compiled a few key questions and considerations to keep in mind when meeting with prospective contractors. Read on to learn more!
Look For The Right Qualifications
One of the most important areas to explore with any prospective contractor is their existing qualifications and licenses. Homeowners are entrusting builders with what may be their single largest asset, so it’s imperative to ensure that the team you partner with is properly qualified to undertake the kind of work you have in mind. Failure to do so can lead to costly mishaps, and even permanent damage to your house. Sample questions to ask contractors in this area include:
- Are you a licensed pre-paid contractor registered with service Alberta? Do you have associated documentation?
- Do you have a business license for the City of Edmonton and surrounding Area?
- Do you have general liability insurance?
- Do you carry valid worker’s compensation insurance?
If a builder is unable to answer these questions, it’s best to walk away for everyone’s safety and peace of mind.
Simply put, experience counts. Even if a contractor is qualified on paper, previous projects and a robust portfolio will help you determine if they are suited to your specific needs. In addition to viewing samples of previous work and asking for references , one should also ask:
- How did you enter the renovation field? What other construction experience do you have (if applicable)?
- What previous companies have you worked for?
- How have you handled previous mishaps or things that have gone wrong in the past? What did you learn from them?
Finally, a major key to success for any project comes down to how a contractor carries out each phase using their own set process. Ask for specific details like:
- Do you use subcontractors to complete certain portions of your projects? If so, how do you vet them?
- How do you determine your scope of work? Can you show me a specific breakdown? How do you ensure things are completed on time?
- How does your team handle any “surprises” or sudden changes during the construction process? Am I expected to pay more than what is in my contract?
- Who are my points of contact, and how do I know the best way to reach them if I have questions?
Establishing a strong bond based on transparency and honesty from the start of a renovation project is the best way to ensure that everyone is able to move forward with peace of mind.
At Peak Improvements, we follow a proven six-stage process to ensure every build goes according to plan, and we give homeowners peace of mind with our guaranteed price + no surprise contract.
Learn more about how we can help make your dream home a reality by contacting our team today!